Orange blossom essential oil is extracted from bitter orange (Citrus bigaradia Risso, C. aurantium Rutaceae) blossoms, freshly harvested in May or October, using the steam distillation method. Orange blossom essential oil is characterised by a distinctive, slightly stronger than average, floral scent.
Orange blossom essential oil, also referred to as nerol, is a classic ingredient for making tonics for dry skin, perfumes and colognes, also as odour masking or enhancing additive for soaps, bath extracts, sea salt, etc.
Methods and amounts of use
Aromatic bath: essential oils are insoluble in water, thus dissolve 10-30 drops of essential oil mix in a glass of milk, kephir, yoghurt, cream, a tablespoon of plant oil or some honey and then pour the mixture into your bath.
Cream or lotion: put 10-15 drops of the essential oil mix into 1 spoon of unfragranced cream or lotion.
Hand cream or lotion: one-time use: 3 drops of the essential oil in 1 teaspoon of fatty oil.
After-shave lotion: 40 drops of essential oil mix into 120 ml of apple vinegar or vodka and 80 ml of distilled water.
Massage: 10-15 drops of essential oil mix into 2 tablespoons of plant oil.
Shampoo, conditioner or for rinsing hair: add 2 drops of the essential oil into the bottle of shampoo or 2-3 l of water with some lemon juice.
Sauna: 15 drops of essential oil mix into 10 l of hot water for soaking besoms.
Aromatic lamp: 4-5 drops for 5 sq. m. area. For daily use (don’t forget to add warm water).
Facial steam bath: 2-3 drops into 1 l hot water.
Regulation (EC) No 1223/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council on cosmetic products, identifies the following allergens:
Orange blossom essential oil includes natural components: citral, geraniol, limonene, linalool.
1. C. Wildwood “The Encyclopedia of Aromatherapy”, Vermont, Healing Arts Press, 1996
2. R. Tisserand, R. Young, E. M Williamson “Essential Oil Safety. A Guide for Health Care Professionals”, Churchill Livingstone ELSEVIER, 2014
3. S. Curtis “Essential Oils”, AURUM, London, 1996
4. R. Balz “The Healing Power of Essential Oils”, LOTUS LIGHT SHANGRI-LA, Twin Lakes, 1996
5. Л.ГДудченко, Г.П.Потебня, Н.А.Кривенко «Ароматерапия и аромамасаж», «Максимум», Киев, 1999